Pre-Lock Security recommends you estabiish and practise with your whole family on a regular basis how to escape in the event of a fire. Please perform the following steps so you will be prepared in an emergency fire evacuation
1. Make sure you have at least 1 smoke detector on every level of your home.
2. Make sure if you are using electrical detectors that each device is functional.
3. Make sure if you are using battery detectors that each device has a working battery in it.
4. Replace any electrical, battery operated or monitored smoke detector that is over 10 years old. If you are not sure of the age of the detector have them looked at by a
a electical contractor or your professional security company.
5. Make sure every room in the house can hear the detector if it is activated
6. Determine 2 ways of escape from every room of your home in the event of a fire. One exit should always be the normal way you leave your home. The other exit may be a
window, should your normal exit be impossible.
7. Make sure each 2nd floor bedroom has a emergency rope ladder under the bed if it is a long drop to the ground.
8. Make a floor plan of your home which shows all windows and doors including the stairs and roof area that can be used to escape as well on homes with flat roofs.
List on the floor plan each escape route for each room and make sure that the routes are not ever blocked and provide this information to every member of your home
and post it on the inside of each bedroom door like you would see in a hotel.
9. Make sure that all bedroom doors are closed when you go to bed at night. This will prevent deadly smoke from entering your room.
10. Always test the door to see if the knob is hot. If the knob is hot do not open the door ever. Proceed to your alternate escape route that you have been provided with.
11. If you know that smoke is present in your home, always stay low to ground and crawl on your stomach. Do not stand up as smoke rises and may overcome you while
12. Leave your home right away. Do not look for your valuables, just get out of the house.
13 Establish a common meeting place out of the house where everyone will go and wait for others there. Take steps to contact the Fire Department and account for anyone
missing. Never ever return back into the house once you have left. Many people have died going back to look for others.
14. Make sure you know the local number to the Fire Department and everyone in your home knows the address in full.
15. Make sure your home has your address clearly posted on the house.